April 18, 2014

Egg in a pie shell thing

Sometimes Dan surprises me by making dinner.  This week I was totally spoiled because he made his signature hamburger helper on Tuesday and on Thursday I returned from work to a beautiful and ambitious quiche.

Quiche is my signature dish. Ham with onion and swiss cheese is my classic (thanks Mom for teaching me).  One time I asked Dan if he had any special requests for dinner.  His response was "how about that egg in a pie shell thing."  It was hilariously cute.  So now we call quiche, egg in a pie shell thing.

This past Sunday I bought the ingredients to make a quiche and Dan was my handy sous chef chopping the ham and grating the cheese.  He even cracked the eggs.  His kitchen skills are gaining in confidence all the time!


When I buy ingredients to make a quiche there is always enough to make two so Dan decided to attempt to make a quiche with the leftovers on his own last night.  Apparently he couldn't find the chopped onions (which I keep in the freezer) so he decided to substitute onions for carrots.  I was skeptical at first...carrot and ham quiche?  Well it was delicious and he paired it with a cheese topped salad (yum).  I was so surprised by his gesture of kindness and proud of him for taking on a real recipe and the risk of doing it alone.

He did a great thing because, honestly, the whole world is happy when I get fed on time.  Thanks buddy!




No comments:

Post a Comment