April 28, 2015

The Greenbone Philosophy

I can't believe in the year and a half that we've had this blog I've never mentioned The Greenbone Philosophy.  It's something everyone in life should adopt the idea of because self-imposed restriction is the worst and having something to look forward to is a huge motivation in life, at least for me.

Well, The Greenbone Philosophy started in my family after we got our dog, Addie.  My parent's got her from friends in Montana in 2002.  She is a Blue Heeler mix and has the sweetest stub of a tail that you every did see.  She is an old girl now but when she was a puppy and we had to bathe her, she always looked so pathetic and sad.  She hates baths.  But baths are necessary and we can all relate to the reality in life that you have to do things you don't like, it's a given.


So as a reward for her enduring the torture of taking a bath we would give her a greenbone.  You know, those bone/toothbrush shaped dog treats called Greenies. 


Addie girl loves greenbones and that treat would perk her right back up after getting done with the bath.


Somehow over the years we started referring to any treat rewarded after doing something hard as Greenbones.  It applies to both good and bad situations.  Finally finish that hard assignment?  Get a greenbone.  Have a difficult conversation with a coworker?  You deserve a greenbone.  Ace that test?  Greenbone.  It can serve as a celebration or as something to provide emotional consolation. 

On hard days I live for the greenbone.  It gives you the freedom to indulge and look at every situation in life as something worth completing.  This weekend after scrubbing the bathroom for two hours I got myself a small bouquet of tulips for my efforts.  Dan preached on Sunday so I made him a surprise pumpkin pie for his hard work and a job well done.   Greenbones all around!!


Now, go get yourself one.  You deserve it!  As my momma would say, you're worthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment