April 15, 2015

Ode to 2C

Now that Dan and I have been living in our little newlywed apartment for nearly eight months now (wow) I wanted to take a little time to document my old apartment.  There is a special place in my heart for my first home here in Brooklyn and the place that accompanied me for five years as I launched my adult life in a new city, through graduate school, and my first career job.

I've been meaning to post a little memory rewind of 2C and yesterday I got a butt-dial from my old landlord.  He left a two-minute long message of pocket noise and Middle Eastern music in the background.  I took that as a cue to post. 

When my Dad and I came to NYC in the summer of 2009 to scout apartments, 2C was the first one we saw.  We came straight to Bay Ridge from the airport.  I really liked the place and wanted to sign a lease immediately but we decided it would be better to see a couple of other options. 


We saw a place in Jersey City and then attempted to look at an apartment in Prospect Heights but felt very uncomfortable in the neighborhood so we didn't even look.  We called the landlord for 2C back and said we wanted the place.  He said there was another person interested and whoever had the better credit score would get it.  Yay me!!!

A few weeks later my Mom and I returned to NYC, me with a one-way ticket and just a few suitcases.


For celebratory sake, pretend the "N.Y.C" song from Annie is playing.  Listen to it here

"Three bucks, two bags, one me"

That's my favorite line.

My Mom and I made a trip to IKEA and I carefully spent the money I had saved all summer working two full-time jobs.  Yes, two full-time jobs.  I barely slept and I was a real joy to be around as my Mom can attest. 

The place was very sparse to start.  Tiny but perfect for me and a blank slate for me to begin a new life. 






The place really filled-out over the course of five years.  Every time Mandy came to visit she would help me add decor and accents to give it more life.


I decorated for Christmas


I hosted the teenager girls in the Youth Group for fun gatherings.



I had many, many youth group planning meetings with Dan in 2C.  I also hosted tons of friends and family with an air mattress that took up the entire rest of the living space. 


My very favorite part of 2C was the window that looked out to Owls Head Park.  I sat on the radiator/window sill many times and watched the people in the park and spied on conversations taking place below my window. 


I weathered two hurricanes in 2C.  Made friends and said goodbye to other friends in that space.  

When Dan and I started dating we spent tons of quality time in that space.  Watching movies, making meals, getting to know each other better, etc.  


Dan proposed to me in 2C and it breaks my heart just a little to think I will likely never return to that space where that special memory was made. 


We don't live far from 2C now and every week when I go to dance class I pass by my old block and reminisce and crave the beautiful park view and sunshine pouring through the west facing windows.  

I like 2H and the home it is to Dan and me and the many memories we have made there already.  I hope my heart continues to grow fonder of 2H and we live there for awhile and maybe start our family there.  But I will always miss 2C and hold it in my heart forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment