January 21, 2021

2020 Broadway in Review

Every year I do a recap and ranking of all the shows we saw on Broadway the previous year. 

See previous years here:

Despite all that 2020 had to throw at us, Dan and I still managed to see two shows before the bright lights shutdown. Since I don't know what 2021 has in store for shows returning to Broadway, I didn't want to skip this post. Perhaps it will be my last for some time?

Back in January of 2020, Dan and I saw our last shows on Broadway - one musical and one play. There isn't much of a ranking, but, let's pretend.

# 1 Overall Favorite show: Jagged Little Pill

Jagged Little Pill is a jukebox musical of songs from Alanis Morissette's 1995 album. It was great! I loved the show and obsessed with the music and it had one of my favorite Broadway stars, Derek Klena. The show had very contemporary themes and was really entertaining. Maybe you caught a few of their televised performances? They were at the Macy's parade and the One Night Only televised fundraiser for Broadway performers.

Favorite songs: Perfect and Wake Up.

 
#2 To Kill A Mockingbird

This was the first play I've ever seen on Broadway. My uncle got Dan and I tickets to see it for Christmas last year and we saw it the weekend after we saw Jagged. Ed Harris starred as Atticus Finch and there were several other well known stage actors in the cast. It was amazing and I'm really glad we had the opportunity to see it when we did.

I can't believe it's been a year since we've seen anything on Broadway. I think I've said it a thousand times, but, Broadway is one of my most favorite things of all time and especially my favorite part about New York City. I had hoped to see several new shows in 2020. Six, Diana, Bedwetter, and Mrs. Doubtfire were all set to open in 2020 and none were ever able to open their doors. With no indication of when theaters will be allowed to welcome back audiences, it's hard to say when we will be able to attend a show again. But, I'll wait and when it's safe, you better believe it will be my first date back in the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment