January 22, 2021

Life Lately

Remember when I used to consistently post Weekending it and Peeks from the Week? Yeah, back when we actually DID stuff worth sharing. I never really feel like I have much to talk about anymore but every once in awhile there is a bit to catch-up on. I know this blog is boring but I mainly do it for memory's sake and to keep family informed. It helps me feel like we're keeping in touch across time and space. 

Anyways, a little bit of life lately. 

Kip stopped using his pacifiers. Yay! But in the process we lost his naps. Boo! He was starting to resist naps back a few months ago but we changed the name to "rest time" and let him keep his window curtains open and lights on and he typically still managed to fall asleep. This was the last photo I have of him napping and using the paci. 


Ugh! What a little baby angel.

Then once we cut the paci, he simply could not relax enough to fall asleep at rest time. It was a struggle at bedtime too, taking forever to fall asleep and then still waking up early. I read that if toddlers 1) resist nap 2) take forever to fall asleep at night and 3) begin waking up consistently before 6 AM then it's time to drop the nap. So this week we changed "rest time" to "Kippy time" and he plays quietly in his room alone for about an hour. And you know what? IT WORKED! Kip now falls asleep without the paci within 20 minutes at bedtime and has stayed asleep (for the most part) until his green clock goes off at 6 AM. I miss the paci and I miss the nap. We all do. But Kip is growing up and part of that is adjusting to new routines and different needs. Listen to me! Being an adult and not crying about all of this!

Also, I'm not putting ANY stock in this and I refuse to get my hopes up...but Ivy cut her first two teeth this week and last night she only woke up once! Praise be! I got one night of sort of uninterrupted sleep.

In house news, I did my first home improvement project! When we first moved in I really had an desire to change all our door hardware from the early 2000s bright-gold lever knobs to matte black round knobs for a sleek more modern look. I waited until after Christmas to use some Amazon points to get all the hardware. We have 20 interior doors (this blows my mind) which is about 60 hinges, plus all the knobs. It was a big project but it only took me a week and a half to do here and there while the kids were asleep or when I had free time on the weekend. I love the way it turned out. Also, if you need to change a lock don't bother with a locksmith. Buy a new knob and save yourself $200 in "labor." It's really easy to do yourself.

BEFORE



AFTER



It feels like we are settling into a routine now. Nearly a year into the pandemic and almost six month at the house. It's be an insane amount of transition and change and growing pains. Some days are good and some days are downright awful. It's the doldrums of winter and if you've followed me for any length of time you know I get really whiny and bitter and bored this time of year. My brain feels itchy. Not literally itchy but  I have an urge to do something without having any idea what that something is or how to satisfy the urge. Like an itch you can't reach. And so we wait for spring. 

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the doorknobs! And Avery is struggling to fall asleep at night & is waking early. I am going to try the "dropping the nap" method.

    ReplyDelete