October 24, 2019

You've Got a Friend

Kip is a very social kid despite his lack of social speech at this age. Every single time we go to the park or church, he seeks out other kids and wants to be around them. This is very different than I was as a kid. Mandy and I were painfully shy and we would NEVER approach a kid we didn't already know (even struggled approaching people we did know). I still don't feel comfortable introducing myself to new people. So watching Kip run right up to other kids is sort of a wonder to me. He is so effortlessly brave.

Kip typically brings some matchbox cars to the park and uses them to trade with other kids to either get them to play with him or to play with something they have that he wants. He is pretty good at sharing in this sense so long as the kid sticks by him and plays next to him. He seems to just like the company, they don't necessarily play anything together. I'm curious to see how this evolves the more he learns to talk and if he will be one of those kids organizing games with everyone or the one other kids are irritated by because he wants to butt-in. In either case, I'll be the mom terrified he'll be rejected. But I'm trying not to let my own insecurities and fears bleed into him and let him just be himself and help him navigate any outcome. At least he puts himself out there.

This is just a collection of photos from his many park friendships from this summer. We don't know any of these other kids.













This is the little boy that taught Kip the art of the trade. Bring a toy to share and other kids will play with you!



Face of a kid rejected by the big kids.


What does a parent do if a child is far more confident than they are?!?

2 comments:

  1. I am SO the same way! I NEVER went up to anyone as a kid (I even have trouble now)! Two of my three kiddos are total social butterflies and it's so odd to me. I'm sure I'll totally cry when they get rejected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life lesson I guess...just hard to watch as a parent

      Delete