June 4, 2018

Peeks + Weekending it

Wow. The last week has been nutty.

Back in January our Super confirmed that we had some lead paint in our apartment. I was not surprised by this and it's actually extremely common but with a baby in the unit, they have to take care of it. We covered the exposed parts and waited four months for the management company to schedule the testing and abatement. After waiting and waiting we had to scrambled to figure out all the logistics of taking Kip out of the apartment for two days while the work was done. I am eternally grateful that Mandy now lives in our area so she was gracious enough to take in me and Kip last week. I took some days off from work, Mandy shifted her schedule, and Dan worked from home in order to let the abatement workers in and out of the unit. Kip and I really enjoyed our extra time with Mandy and we shopped our way through New Jersey and knocked several things off our to-do list.

Kip's last nap in his infant car seat. He hit the height limit.


First nap in his new car seat.


We also hit-up the liquidation sales at Babies R Us and got a sweet Ergo carrier for $23 (that's a steal) and an umbrella stroller for $40 off.

We played at Mandy's apartment where Kip was basically free range, all over the place.



And played at the nearby park.


When we got back to Brooklyn on Thursday afternoon, Dan had been doing his best to try and get the apartment back together. Long story, but we were not happy with how the abatement was handled and Mandy, Dan, and I spent several hours cleaning the apartment afterwards.

This weekend Dan and I went to IKEA and Home Depot to get some things to spruce stuff up. The weather turned crummy again and we are all trying to keep our spirits up, waiting for permanent summer temperatures.

Today, I ventured into the city with Kippy for the first time alone! It was rough but we survived. I had to wake him up from his first nap, quickly dress him and force him into the baby carrier. We then had to wait 10 minutes for a subway and ended-up having to ride the local train the whole way which took us an hour. Then I basically run, with my 20 pound child strapped to my chest, to get to the doctor's office on time. It was essentially the DMV of eye care and I was praying the whole time that Kip wouldn't have a meltdown in any of the three waiting rooms we were shuffled through. We spilled our Cheerios all over the floor and I looked pretty ridiculous trying to pick them all up in a super crowded room while about 7 other people just watched me struggle while holding Kip.

Here we are, buying time in the waiting room.


Anyways, considering how tired he was and the fact that they put dilating drops in his eyes, he did really well. And we got good news. His eyes are fine and the occasional crossing is called Pseudostrabismus. Basically, fake eye crossing. The nose bridge is wide in some babies and it gives the appearance that the eye is crossed but it's not. Apparently his nose will grow out in 6-12 months.

We lucked out with an express subway back into Brooklyn and Kip took a quick 20 minute nap on the ride. All in all, it took three hours and I nearly peed my pants, but we did it. 


This afternoon Kippy and I had a little friend over for a few hours while her mom went to an appointment. We had fun but it was a really full day after our city trip in the morning. Two kids under two is no joke and super power to all the moms doing it and rocking it.  




Phew, and my work week has yet to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment