December 12, 2017

Kippy || 4 Months Old

On Sunday, Kippy turned 4 months old!! So much has changed in those 4 months. On the day he was born it was HOT outside and 4 months later, there is snow on the ground and it's freezing cold! We are deep into the holiday season and it's so much fun to experience so many firsts with him. Every day is something new!

Kipling at Four Months
Weight:  14 lbs. 4 oz.  (13 lbs. 8 oz. last month)
Height:  25.5 inches (25 inches last month)
Personality: excited and curious

Happy:


Super excited:


Likes:
Being held and walked around. He is very curious and wants to explore
Chewing on his hands (sometimes he goes too far and gags himself)
"Talking." He really found his voice this past weekend and coos repeatedly
His jumper gym
Bath time and splashing
Stroller and car rides
When Dad reads to him
When Mom sings to him
On Aunt Mandy days when she walks in the door to greet him 

Dislikes:
Diaper changes from mom (he just can't be bothered to wait to be fed)
Being interrupted during a feed for a diaper change (we gotta do it as soon as we hear it or he ruins an outfit)
Being put down for a nap
Being set down anywhere when he wants to be "walked around"
Being left alone in a room

Wearing:
Size 2 diapers
6 month clothing (most are too big but he is too small for 3 month now)

Things I want to remember about Kippy at four months old:
Your tiny, but loud grunts in the night
Your sweet little voice when you coo
Seeing your eyes staring up at me and your big smiles in the morning before I pick you up
The way you reach out and grab my hand in the middle of the night when I put your pacifier back in your mouth
The way you get suddenly panicked when you realize you're hungry
The way you open your mouth in an open O, like a baby bird signaling you're ready to eat
The warm snugly naps you got in the carrier on my chest when we were in Kansas
How rosy your cheeks get when you nurse in the morning
How you close your eyes when you nurse
The way you clasp your hands together







At four months, you've had your first plane rides, first Thanksgiving, first visit to Kansas, first time seeing dogs up close, first time meeting Dan's side of the family, first snow storm, first illness, first night without the swaddle sack, first time "crying it out" for nap time, and first real giggles. You were dedicated at church, went to your first birthday party invite, and first attempts at rolling over (not quite there yet). His hair is starting to grow in and it's light blonde, like we expected!

Sleep
Kip is still a champ at night and still awful at naps. After we got back from Kansas, he had a rough week transitioning back to naps in the crib as opposed to the carrier. As a result, we typically only get one 30 minute nap in the morning, a 30-40 minute nap after his later morning feed, and MAYBE one more 30 minute nap in the afternoon. He is so overtired and fussy by early evening that we often put him to bed at 5:30/6:00. He is already experiencing some 4 month sleep regression and waking up at 2:30 and 4:30 ready for the day. We can typically get him back to sleep by just giving him the pacifier. It just occurred to me, Kip only ever nursed in the middle of the night once. Around the time he started latching he also started sleeping through the night. Sort of melancholy about that. He is still sleeping in the pack n play by our bed but we intend to transition him to his room after Christmas travel.

Eat
This month, I'd like to say we really figured out the feeding. But we didn't. My supply still swings wildly upwards at times and that still causes issues for Kip. I've donated over 1,800 ounces of milk (that's 14 gallons) and we still have our mini freezer filled. It's insanity. I still have to pump twice a day regardless of how much I feed Kip or pump at work. If I don't pump twice then I get engorged during they and my let down overwhelms Kippy and milk sprays everywhere. Despite these issues, Kip doesn't seem to mind too much and he is growing and gaining rapidly. It's still rough and sometimes I dream about being done with breastfeeding but I'm going to try my best to get him through flu season, at least. One year is my ultimate goal. We've come a long way since 2 months so I'm grateful for that progress. He gets 5 oz bottles every 3 hours when he is with Mandy or Dad and I try my best to nurse him every 3 hours on my days but he usually wins me over a little early.

Play
Kippy is becoming more and more engaged in his surroundings and starting to play! He loves looking around and being "walked around" the apartment to the various rooms. He still loves staring at his mobile and especially loves his new jumper gym. He has started grasping toys and bringing them to his mouth and he loves chewing on his fingers and fists. He still hates when I read to him but he loves when Dan does (ugh! stinker). He lights up to the sound of voices and smiles big when you engage with him. He loves splashing in the bath and flailing his arms and legs like a windmill when you lay him on his back.









Love you SO much little monkey! Stay tiny and sweet for me, ok? 

1 comment:

  1. His super excited face is adorable! He is such a cutie! He's had a whole bunch of "firsts" this past month! I'm so glad nursing is going good!

    ReplyDelete