October 27, 2017

Peeks from the Week (and weekend)

I know a lot of family (and maybe some strangers) really look forward to Kippy updates on the blog. I'm trying to be consistent but I apologize for this week's delay. I'm rolling together our typical Weekending it post and Peeks from the Week.

This past weekend was rocky due to continued direct nursing drama. I am so grateful we aren't dealing with other issues simultaneously and I try to remind myself that it could be SO much worse. I realize that so many other moms have these issues plus three other kids or major heath situations to deal with. So, yes, I feel like a worthless person when I claim that life is hard right now. But, honestly, I'm tired. Even though we are almost three months in, my milk supply is still swinging wildly upwards and every week something new happens. This past weekend it was nipple biting. Sorry, TMI, but yeah. Kippy was trying to control the forceful let-down by clamping down and, what feels like, bite off my nipple. It's excruciating. And he was vomiting a lot on top of it. Hey Terri Mom, remember when you told me that one of the boys puked into your bra? Yeah, that's happened to me twice now. I'll spare you all the pictures but it was a pretty miserable weekend.

Not much had improved by Monday so the lactation consultant came back for a third time on Tuesday morning. She is so sweet and kind and helpful but I can tell she is a bit baffled by my situation as well. She devised a new "plan" and suggested I get blood work to check my thyroid because there has to be some underlying cause for the massive amounts of milk I'm producing without any effort. And she has me block feeding AND block pumping which means I have to go 6+ hours without emptying one side which means I sit in a soaking wet shirt at work all day, fully engorged. Fun times.

This morning I got up at 3 am and had to pump off 12 ounces because my shirt was drenched. Good thing I have been sleeping on a folded towel since Kip was born otherwise our mattress would reek of old milk by this point. Wait, maybe it does?

Other than the never-ending feeding drama. Kip is as cute as can be. So we'll end this post with highlights from my camera roll.









Here's to hoping this weekend is better than last! Happy Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Love you Stephanie. XXOO Terri Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter what other people may go through, if something is tough in your life, it's tough. We don't share the same battles, but every battle is hard. I can't imagine the constant pain of engorgement, and I think to myself now when I feel engorged that it's not on the same level as others- including yourself. When you're used to the pattern of sleep you get, and then something interrupts it, it's hard. I know I'm no LC, so take this with a grain of salt, but a cabbage leaf stuck in both sides of your bra might help relieve the pain of engorgement (check with the LC first because I don't want it to ruin your supply). I'm praying for you and I'm glad we are both sharing in this motherhood journey with our babies being so close in age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you guys. Hope you have a better week. Love you guys. The pics are darling🙂

    ReplyDelete