February 15, 2016

Peeks from the Week

(delayed posting - meant to post Friday)

It was a rough commuting week for me.  On Monday night my R train wasn't running into lower Manhattan so I had to take a 5 train.  I do not care for the number trains, they are narrow and always crowded.  The train I got on was extremely crowded because of the issues on the R line.  I was sardines next to a young man (likely my age) and he kept giving me the side-eye.  I looked down to avoid eye contact and there I saw he had a handgun sticking out of his pants.  It was absolutely horrifying and absolutely illegal.  It was less than a foot away from me.  He wasn't even trying to hide it, he would periodically put his hand on it!!! I didn't know what to do since it was crowded train and I couldn't exactly walk away.  Fortunately he got off at the next stop and I continued on my merry way but it was not a fun experience for me.

On Friday my R train was suppppperrrrr slow because of a switch malfunction somewhere farther down the line.  I eventually switched to an F train and then to an A train and then walked a good 10 blocks to my office building.  Now, on the whole, I'd say my commute is easy.  I have a 5 min walk from our apartment to the R train and I typically get a seat and then just stay on that same train for 30 or so minutes and then walk the rest of the way to work.  It's usually on time and usually not crazy crowded.  But there are days when the subway system is rough and this week it really struggled.

On to happier news, it's Friday and a three day weekend with Valentine's Day thrown in for fun!  The weekend is supposed to be bitter cold (like 3 degrees is a low for Sunday) but I'm looking forward to sleeping-in and making a fun Valentine's themed class for my pre-k/kinder kids on Sunday.  Last night Dan and I cut out a bunch of hearts on colored paper and wrote loving messages to each other and then heart-attacked the wall in the living room.







We probably won't do much of anything for Valentines' day for each other.  I already bought our favorite candies and we've already eaten some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment