September 19, 2014

Que Sera Sera: The Wedding Day

Disclaimer: we have not received all of our photos back so what is in this post is just a small selection

Early in the morning on August 30, 2014, Mandy and I went to the local farmers market in her neighborhood to get the flowers for the ceremony.  It was a special time for just the two of us to share before the crazy day got away from us.

We found the most amazing selection of pink flowers for a steal and Mandy did a fantastic job using yet another one of her special skills to create something beautiful for the wedding.  We got homemade cinnamon donuts too and brought them back to the apartment to share with Dan.


After the flowers, Dan and I headed over to visit with my grandma since we hadn't seen her since arriving. 

Then Jessy, Mandy, Dan, and I grabbed Chipotle for lunch and headed back to Mandy's apartment to start getting ready.  The rest of the afternoon flew by as we all rushed around getting ready.  Jessy worked super hard on hair and make-up when we got to the church so that the photographers could take getting-ready photos.  We all had to hurry but Jessy did amazing and we all looked model quality.  Thanks sissy!

I was super stressed at that point and worrying about details and trying not to let my mega devil out to devour the people around me.   Just at the last minute I got all those silly tradition things done...you know, the something old, new, borrowed, and blue.  I had a new flower hair accessory from Jessy.  My mom gave me a beautiful old ring from her aunt as as special gift.  I had a cheap blue garter on that was super itchy.  And in the knick of time my mom let me borrow the inserts for her shoes so that my shoes wouldn't flop off my feet.  Gross, yes, but it saved the day.  Mandy jammed a bobby-pin in my hair to get the veil to stick and we were finally all set. 

My favorite part of the day was when I got to see Dan for the first time after we were dressed.  It was a special moment for me to come back down to earth and remember what it was all about.  This is a picture I am really glad that Amy and Tim captured.  It is of Dan praying for us right before we separated again, not to see each other again until we met at the alter.


When my dad walked me down the aisle I regret that I was worrying the whole time and fretting about stupid things.  One, the music sounded like static in the sound system (people told me it wasn't but that's what I heard).  Two, some of the aisle decorations were tossed on the floor right as we were walking down the aisle.  Three, guests were still arriving and things had already started.  Four, I was wishing I had paid better attention during the rehearsal because I literally had no clue what was supposed to happen when.

Once I got to the alter and my Dad gave my hand over to Dan I just decided to stop fussing and said to myself "que sera sera."  And everything that happened after that was just the way it was meant to be, and I was okay with that.  


Many people said that the light from the stained-glass windows came through and was shining on us throughout the ceremony.  Apparently it looked really nice and I like to think it was God joining us on our special day.

After the guests left for the reception the wedding party took more photos at the church and then at the park across the street from the reception venue.  It was getting towards sunset so we got some really nice photos with the light shining around us, my favorite kind of photos.






My dad gave the welcome and the blessing before dinner.  It was really ironic because he shared a story about when I was younger and oddly I had thought about that same story just the day before and I was thinking how he might bring that up at the wedding.  And he did!  For those of you readers who were not there, I will share.


When I was younger, middle school or so, I was complaining to my dad about something and he said to me "Steph, God provides everything we need."  I replied, "yeah but what about what we want?"  It was a fitting story to share because, as my Dad said, in this case God gave me both. 

After that we ate.  And it was delicious, as expected.  Mandy, Sam, and Jessy then all gave beautiful and memorable toasts that filled our hearts and made us laugh.  Thanks guys!

And so as not to overwhelm you all, I'll save the rest of the wedding bits for another post.

2 comments:

  1. Only hiccup of the day was when I forgot the flowers at my apartment and had to run home to get them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a beautiful day and although some small things came up we made it thru and it was truly beautiful and special. Love u

    ReplyDelete