September 10, 2021

Peeks from the Week

A little recap of Kip's first week of school!

Since Kip's first day was just an hour long, and I took a full vacation day, Mandy and I ran to Target in the afternoon to get a few more supplies and pull together quick little teacher gift bags. Some moms sent some with other kids on the first day and I wanted to do that but was worried about looking over eager, so I waited. 

We just got some dollar spot stuff and I printed off a Favorite Things questionnaire for the teachers to return so we get to know them better and can provide more custom gifts when appropriate. 

The second day, Mandy and I had to drop Kip off at the door and were not allowed inside. I was worried about him going in alone but he gave hugs and walked in so bravely.

I thought about him all day long, wondering what he was doing and if he was having fun. Mandy and I walked to the school with Ivy in the afternoon to pick him up and we spotted his class on the playground before they headed inside. When he saw us through the windows at line-up he waved excitedly and bolted out the door when they opened it. He got a little bit of a stern instruction from his teacher about that but he was just so excited to see us. 

He had a GREAT first day and told us about it all afternoon and evening. His first comment was, "that place is busy" and later he said it was "very loud there." He had waffles, apple, and some sort of flavored milk for lunch. He forgot what they gave him for breakfast. He found a pizza in the play kitchen and played with the tree house doll house. He made friends with the girl that sits next to him and got excluded from a game some boys were playing. He danced cooky at music time and went to the potty twice. We got a funny story about the hot water steaming in the boys bathroom and some crazy antics with his classmates about screaming there was a fire. He didn't close his eyes at rest time but he curled up "tight" in his nap mat and the blue cots "look like trampolines." He got to play on the purple playground twice and got dizzy on the spiny thing. He didn't drink any of his water or touch his snack. 

When Dan and I dropped him off on Thursday, it was raining but he happily went into the school when his teacher greeted him. After school he came out with a bloody scrape on his elbow from "tripping over a big bump." His teacher said it had just happened and he refused a band aid. Typical Kip. He is particular about band aids. He burst into tears when he saw me. But he was fine and chatted all the way home and over a snack of banana bread, coffee, and homemade ice cream. He earned a sticker at school for saying "excuse me" when people were in his way and he had grilled cheese and apples for lunch but no carrots "because they were too crunchy."

Today starts my really busy work weekend so I'm in the office and Mandy is doing drop-off and pick-up solo, with both kids. Thanks Mandy! She sent this cute photo. 


What a champ!

1 comment:

  1. I wish Kip all the best during his school year. I like that you sent the teachers questionnaires so gauge their interests.

    ReplyDelete