January 21, 2020

Weekending it

Recapping the weekend, even though it's nearly mid-week already.

This past Friday Dan and I went to see our first Broadway show for the year. I asked Dan for tickets to see Jagged Little Pill for Christmas and Mandy graciously babysat for us so we could go.

Now, I am typically highly skeptical of what is called a "Jukebox musical." This is a musical based on existing music by an artist or group. There are two varieties of Jukebox musicals. One, creates a fictional story that is woven together through the existing music (familiar examples Mama Mia with the music of ABBA or American Idiot with the music of Green Day). The other variety uses the music to tell the true story of the artist or group (Jersey Boys - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Ain't Too Proud - The Temptations, Beautiful - Carol King, On Your Feet - Gloria Estefan).

For me, the first variety, taking music and trying to create a cohesive story out of it is very risky. It often feels forced because the music stands alone, each song it's own story. So making something up to pull it together can get clunky. The first show I ever saw on Broadway was the jukebox musical, Movin Out using Billy Joel songs. In my opinion, it didn't work. To be fair, this was an odd show in general. The music was sung by a band while the performance was just a series of dances wherein the actors didn't actually sing. It was like watching a ballet performed to Joel's greatest hits.

Jagged Little Pill is a jukebox musical based on Alanis Morissette's album by the same title along with some of her later hits. Initially, when I heard about this becoming a musical I didn't like the idea of it. But, I was intrigued so I listened to the soundtrack and I LOVED it. I didn't know what story would weave it all together but the music on the album flowed and I thought it was worth a shot. Basically, this show converted me. I might give other jukebox musicals a shot after this one. The plot packed in a TON of current event issues but the acting was stellar and the dialogue was hilarious and the story actually made sense. Dan and I both really enjoyed it.


On Saturday, Kip and I had some old friends over for a play date while Dan took himself winter boot shopping. I didn't get any photos of the play date because it was three kids three years old and younger and both moms are pregnant. It was chaotic and one kid got their hair wound-up in a battery operated race car. Eeek! But I enjoyed being able to catch-up with my old friend and Kip loved having some playmates.

Sunday we had church and I was in the tiny tots class and Dan was doing youth. Sundays are hard and I feel like I always say that but there are just so many things that go into making the whole day an "event" that feels exhausting. I hate saying that because church should be uplifting and soul-feeding but I always leave feeling drained. It basically boils down to the fact that Kip does not get a normal nap on Sundays and all parties that intersect his universe when he hasn't napped feel the negative effects. It's never been pretty but now that Kip is a raging two-year old, it's a whole lot more dramatic and ear piercing.

But, we keep going. We keep trying. We keep trusting that some day this phase will end and it will be a positive experience for all of us.

Now, to end on a positive note, the Kansas City Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl and Dan is really happy and that makes me happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment