March 19, 2014

Stuck in a beaver damn

Two weeks ago when we confirmed our caterer it felt like things on the wedding planning river were going along swimingly.

Dan booked us tickets to fly out to Chicago at the end of April
I made an appointment for us to have a tasting, actually see the reception venue, and nailed down some lingering details about the ceremony venue.
The bridemaids dresses arrived and look so perfect and cute and my dress arrived too.


Awwww, sissies are so pretty!

STOP.  Now the canoe is stuck in a beaver damn.

My dress came and it was darling.  I tried it on and it was too big, which I expected because I was only able to order a large since it was the only size in stock.  I thought, no worries, that's what alterations are for and I looked up a well reviewed tailor in Bayridge.

This past weekend I took the dress and the petticoat that I ordered to the tailor shop and changed really quickly in the makeshift curtained corner. P.S. one surefire way to make yourself feel super ugly is to stand in front of a brightly lit mirror wearing a dress that is too big and socks.  Why do socks on bare legs always look so ugly?

When I went out to stand in front of the mirror the guy (who spoke very little English) said "Way too big. You need small size."  To which I replied, "This was the only size, that's why I'm here.  To get it altered."  He grabbed the fabric in places and shook his head with a look that I interpreted as disgust.  He said "Too much.  Way too big.  In the back, the bust, the length, the sleeve. It cost you $250 for alterations.  Better to order small size."  What am I supposed to say to that?  The dress only cost $50 so the alterations would cost four times more.  So I went back to the curtain, ripped the dress off, shoved the petticoat in my bag and sulked out.  Now what?

I was sad.  A, because I liked the dress.  B, because I didn't want to deal with looking for something else.  C, because I liked the dress.  I doubled checked online to make sure the dress wasn't suddenly in stock in another size.  Nope.  Mandy suggested I try another tailor but I decided not to.  This guy had rave reviews on Yelp and I doubt a good businessman would turn away job that could have potentially made him a lot of money. 

That night I started looking online for another dress.  Nothing was very enticing on Amazon so I went to Google.  The first site I found had great options and great prices and the dresses could be ordered in any color.  The site was JCPenny so I picked, ordered, and felt at peace.  I even ordered a short veil because the price was right and I thought it might be nice to bride-i-fy the dress.  Below is the dress in the color the model had on.  I ordered it in off-white (apparently most people don't look great in pure white dresses).  I almost bought the ivory but the first dress I got was ivory and the color was a little more cream/pit stain-like than I wanted. 


On Monday I got a message on my voice mail from a lady from the dress place.  Here is the message transcribed for your interpretation:
Hi dis is Fiona from JC Dress Penny.  Dis bout your...um..dress and weddin dress veil you ordered on our site.  We send an order confirmation email inbox.  K?  check it and reply us.  The waiting process order time.  Dank you bery much.  Bye.
That was clue #1 that I didn't order the dress from JCPenny.  

So I checked my email and found that whoever this was wanted exact measurements even though I just ordered a standard dress size.  The email included many smiley face emoticons.  That was clue #2 that the website was not the official JCPenny.  I'm crossing my fingers that it will all work out and the dress will still be fine even though it might be from a modern day sweat shop.  Fiona sounded happy in her voicemail and her emoticon email was cheerful. I hope she makes more than .35 cents an hour.  

I looked at the website again and the logo is very similar to JC Penny and the site design is similar.  I got duped but I'm hoping not robbed.  I used my credit card that only has a $2,000 limit so if they steal my information they can't get very far.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment