June 19, 2020

Peeks from the Week

This week was tough. I feel like some days we manage just fine and it feels somewhat normal and then other days I realize the stress level just keeps going up. Since the beginning of all this it's just been exponential with only momentary lulls in the cycling worries.

The other day I got a call from my manager (she has been keeping me informed about work developments while I've been on leave). The Museum laid off 200 people and I had to call the person I've managed for the last 6 years and let them go over the phone. Our department has gone from 15 to 8. Remaining staff all get pay cuts and reduced benefits.

While I am extremely grateful to still have my job, I feel guilty for being spared while colleagues and friends were let go. Additionally, there is no end in sight for the pandemic. Even though New York City enters Phase 2 of reopening on Monday, we're watching what is happening around the country with spikes in cases and new epicenters forming. Spikes in NYC are inevitable and living in some sort of quarantine situation long term is a scary thought when we have two little kids and our jobs are not necessarily secure. I'm trying to stay positive and trust God but it's scary.

Okay, enough of that. Here is our week in review.

On Monday I took Kip to "meet the teacher" for his preschool in the fall. He was super excited to go and we had a nice little walk over to the school. We managed to convince him to wear his Lightening McQueen mask that Grandma Johnson made.


As we approached the table set-up outside the teacher said "are you Kipling?" And Kip spooked and immediately tried to pull away and said, "wanna go home." I picked him up and told him I wasn't leaving him and then I chatted with the teacher for a bit. He got a piece of candy and started to warm up a bit when they asked him about his baby sister. We were done with the whole event in less than 10 minutes.

I'm fairly certain he will not go to school in the fall. Even though they said they plan to open with no restrictions, the state has made no confirmation about school reopening. Plus, we aren't comfortable with the risks and paying that amount of money to potentially have another stay-in-place order at some point in the year. Fortunately, Kip isn't at the age where school attendance is required so although it would be disappointing, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

On Wednesday Mandy and I took the kids over to a Fort in Staten Island get outside and run around. The day was beautiful.



Wednesday afternoon was after everything went down at work so I had a lot of phone calls. Mandy occupied Kip with painting.


We don't have plans for Father's Day but the weather will be nice so we will likely do our typical weekend visit to New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment