November 14, 2019

Flower Bull

My boss gave me the original Ferdinand book as a baby shower gift before Kip was born. At the time I was not familiar with the story although, I guess, it is a classic.

The most recent animated adaptation of the book came out in December 2017 when Kip was just a few months old but we didn't see the movie.

Flash forward to this past spring when I went through my Jonas Brothers re-obsession and discovered the song Home from the movie written and sung by Nick Jonas. I bought the movie on Prime that day and watched it with Kip. He was glued to it and I thought it was just as sweet as the book.

In the movie, Ferdinand is a bull that doesn't want to fight but is forced into the arena because he is a bull and that's what bulls do. He is bullied by the other bulls because he wants to protect the flowers in his pen instead of fight with the other bulls. He runs away and finds a new home with a little girl named Nina and her father who owns a flower farm. I won't spoil the story, but there are several really cute scenes where Ferdinand interacts with flowers.

Image result for ferdinand smelling flowers"

Kip picked this up and started to do the same. This past fall we've seen him go up to a bunch of flowers, bend over and smell them. He also does it when Mandy or I wear flower clips in our hair.





I've shared pretty much all of these photos on Instagram but I just think it is so sweet and I know it's a gesture that will likely be fleeting at this age but a memory I will treasure.

If you haven't seen the movie, watch it. It's a very heartwarming story with a wonderful message.

2 comments: