November 22, 2013

Asking a Question

So as Stephanie's last post mentioned, we had a status change on Facebook this last Saturday.  But let me share with you what went through my mind in the hours leading up to the question.

So I had been debating for several weeks about when I wanted to ask Stephanie.  I got the blessing from her parents like 3 weeks ago and already had the ring.  So anyways, I texted with Mandy about some options, but Stephanie said once or twice "when am I going to get my ring" (may not be an exact quote).  Anyways, so that had me thinking maybe I should do it sooner rather than later.  Last Friday, I went after work to visit some friends of ours named Josh and Lynn.  Josh had a stroke 2 months ago and is still recovering.  Anyways, I asked them what they thought I should do.  Lynn said if you know you love her and have the ring why wait?  That connected with me as we are not promised tomorrow and I knew I loved Stephanie and wanted to marry her.  So then I took the long train ride back to Bay Ridge that night and made a quick stop at Rite Aid to get chocolate, streamers, and a red three wick candle.  Then I went to my apartment and to sleep.

I feel asleep quickly; however, I woke up at 6:30am and couldn't go back to sleep.  Guess I was a little nervous and my mind was running on what I needed to do.  So I developed my MASTER PLAN of how I would ask her to marry me.  I would sneak down to Stephanie's apartment and decorate it, then go to our small group brunch, after brunch go ice-skating (we planned to do this already), after that grab a nice dinner in City or Brooklyn, then go back to Stephanie's however make a quick detour and walk through Owls Head Park.  For those of you that don't know we decided to start dating on a bench in Owls Head Park.  So then walk through the park find that bench.  And since it would be late and dark there probably would be no one at the park (Stephanie mentioned numerous times that she wanted it to just be us).  I just had to make sure no pot smokers where near us, that would sort of ruin the mood.

My Master Plan was a good plan I think and now lets see if things went according to my MASTER PLAN.  So I started the morning getting my drawing supplies and working on creating love notes for Stephanie that expressed what I felt in my heart.  I feel like they turned out well (see last post in the blog).  Then I made a shopping list.  I had love notes, streamers, chocolate and candle but still need more supplies.  Also at the same time I texted with our friend Janet who was hosting brunch to find out when Stephanie was suppose to be there to help with brunch (10am).  Plenty of time for me to be sneaky with decorations.  After finding out time I told Janet to keep the secret.  She replied "I already sent her a message on facebook".  My heart sunk a little but I knew Janet was messing with me and she was.

So I went and got flowers.  I knew I needed roses for an engagement however combining with stock flowers was a spur of the moment decision that worked out well.  Also at the flower shop I found Philbin a cuddly bear that I new she would love.  Then I went to the dollar store to get balloons.  In retrospect I need to pay more attention to balloons.  I got red and pink.  However, the pink ones when I opened them said happy 1st birthday not exactly what I was going for.  The red ones were good, no writing problems.  However, later at Stephanie's apartment they were really hard to blow up and I realized they were helium type lol.  I blew up three of them a little.

So I got the supplies together and went to her place.  I was doing good on time.  I began decorating, hung the drawings, streamers, balloons, and made a place for the gifts (flowers, puddles, etc.) I will say to hang things, Stephanie's kitchen stool was not that stable and I kept thinking I was going to fall while hanging stuff and get hurt and then ruin the day.  But thankfully I didn't fall.

So got everything setup and it was 11:20am.  So I decided to go get my haircut.  It was too long and I knew we would be taking pictures later.

Then I went to Janet's for Brunch.  I was trying to keep it cool.  But because I had been thinking about this all morning, Stephanie was correct, I was sweating.   I should have worn different clothes because I sweat when I'm nervous.  Anyways, I tried to hide what I was planning to do.

Once brunch finished, as I mentioned earlier, the plan was to go ice-skating in the City; however I had not counted on one thing.  Stephanie was like, "I need to go to my place to get my ice skates."  I tried to be like lets not worry about them and just go but she wasn't having it.  I tried to come up with some excuse like we had dinner plans so needed to get back at certain time.   But no matter what I could come up with she wanted to go back to her place.  I was more nervous the whole walk along 3rd avenue and back to her place because things were not going according to plan and I couldn't change it.  Stephanie mentioned on the walk several times that I was acting weird, that didn't help.  I felt like I had failed and it wasn't going to be that special.  Eventually I got in my head that Ill just go with the flow and propose in her apartment.  Not the way I planned but will make it work.

So we were at her building and she opened the door to her apartment and red, white and pink streamers meet her as she went in and I had her set her stuff down.  She put her stuff down and I shut the door.  And we started walking on the love paper trail I created on the floor.  She moved from one drawing to another.

Once she went to the last one where the flowers, candy, and stuffed animals were, she looked at them and then stared at the last drawing that said "will you marry me" and had a picture of me proposing to her.  At that moment I had her turn towards me and I started telling Stephanie all the things I love about her and how I want to spend the rest of my life with her.  Then, I got down on one knee and said "will you marry me" and thankfully she said YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I guess asking a question didn't go as I planned, but that's life and all that really matters is she said YES.


No comments:

Post a Comment