October 10, 2018

Weekending it

Just want to preface this post by saying we haven't seen the sun since Friday. Warm weather? Sure. Sun? Nope.

What is the deal???

Anyways, Saturday Mandy and I had planned to go fall clothes shopping together. Kip is too active now to do well with shopping trips so Dan gifted us a day together while he watched Kip. We went to the mall and got lunch and hung out at her place. In the late afternoon, Dan came over with Kip so he could pick me up but then Mandy decided to come back with us anyways to lend a hand on Sunday.

On Sunday, both Dan and I were supposed to serve but then my team got canceled last minute. Since Mandy had come over anyways, Dan was able to drive to church in her car and Mandy and I stayed at home to let Kip get one good nap in for the day. Sundays are hard. His nap schedule and whole routine is non-existent and that's tough for him. So, one good nap and we headed to church where Mandy and I chased him around all morning. He got a cat nap in the stroller (thanks to Mandy) and then we went to lunch together at a cool old soda fountain. It was a rough outing. Kip was overtired and itching for freedom and threw a tantrum about not being able to walk around. So I took him outside while we waited for our food. He screamed over not being able to walk in the street, was mad about me not letting him touch a motorcycle wheel that was parked outside, annoyed that I wouldn't let him pick up a cigarette butt, and livid that I was trying to direct where he went. His control issues may be worse than mine. Pray for us. We did get him settled when the food arrived and he devoured nearly all of my hot fudge sundae.


After lunch Dan and I were invited over to a friend's house from our old church. A bunch of people we hadn't seen in awhile were there and so it was nice to see all of them. Many had either never met Kip or only seen him just after he was born. Now he can walk and basically wreak havoc everywhere. He did alright overall but it was just a long day and pretty overstimulating. Dan and I were equally exhausted. Kip went right to sleep as soon as we got home. Skipped dinner and bath and he crashed immediately.

On Monday, Columbus Day, Dan still had work so Kip and I did our normal Monday routine. I tried to keep it mellow and get him back on schedule. He started snuggling with me more and will even cuddle if I ask "snugs with Momma?" It makes me so happy. The day ended with one long tantrum that just rolled from one issue to the next. I realize we are in a tough phase right now. New independence with walking but still very limited communication skills is difficult to navigate. We'll get through it one day at at time.



2 comments:

  1. I love all of your descriptions about what Kip was mad about! It's so true! Avery does the same thing-- I'm totally ruining her life by not letting her eat dog fur and batteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone once told me not to worry so much, "babies aren't trying to kill themselves." I'm like, but they don't KNOW what CAN kill them! Chewing on a battery? Walking into the street? Yeah, those could kill you. It's so stressful!!

      Delete