August 16, 2017

Everything Changes

Last Wednesday morning Dan and I headed into the city for our 39 week appointment. We had our OB breakfast at our typical place and I said to Dan, "this could be our last breakfast" but not really thinking that was likely.

At the appointment we scheduled the 41 week induction for August 20th and I was super depressed thinking we might have to wait that long. The Dr. took the measurements and then used the doppler to check the heart rate. It was low. Typical. So she sent us over to Labor and Delivery to get monitored, yet again. I figured we might be there for three hours like the previous time so I called-in a vacation day at work as I was being hooked up to the monitor. Twenty minutes later the PA came in and said everything looked good and we could likely go home after she did an ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid. Evidently, the fluid was a tiny bit low (4.8/5). So she spoke with the OB on call and they decided since I was only 2 days away from 40 weeks that they would induce!! We were both shocked (since we figured we'd be headed home) and excited ,because YAY it was finally happening.

We called our family and my mom and dad booked flights to arrive later that night. Mandy packed her bag, drove over to our apartment and picked-up my hospital bag and then came to the hospital. A little over 24 hours later Kipling Alan Johnson was born 7 pound 5 ounces, 20 inches long. Perfect in every way.



I will share more about his birth in an upcoming post but I wanted to write something today to mark the memory of that last day before his arrival. A short window of time when neither Dan or I were really prepared for the tremendous shift about to take place.

I'm sharing a song obsession that perfectly describes what Kippy's birth signified. Everything Changes.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! So glad to hear he's here. Love the name.

    ReplyDelete